Metabolism is the process by which food is converted into energy which the body uses. A stronger metabolism means that the body is converting food faster. In Ayurveda, this is referred to as our digestive fire, or Agni, and there are a few ways to stoke the flame.
A strong fire
When our digestive system is in balance, we see how our skin glows, our body feels great and we exprerience a feeling of all-round wellness. By working to create an optimal working digestive system, we also gain mental clarity and heightened energy levels. It is important to remember that a healthy digestive systems relies on good nutrition, exercise and sufficient hydration. There are a few tips to boost the digestive fire that we can take note of.
Metabolism boosting ideas
• Start the day with lemon water – drinking a cup of water with a squeeze of lemon with kickstart metabolism and wake up the digestive system.
• Ginger – this is definitely a fire starter, and Ayurvedic advice suggests eating a slice of ginger with lemon and salt 15 minutes before a meal. This is a bit tough in my personal opinion, so I would rather suggest drinking grated ginger and lemon in a glass of water.
• Eat while the sun is shining – try not to eat heavy meals at night. Soups and stews are easier to digest, and herbal teas help the digestive system to wind down before bedtime.
• Milk – this is one food that commonly trips up the digestive system. Milk is easiest to digest when hot and/or spiced. Adding cinnamon with help with digestion.
• Spice it up – adding certain spices – turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, cumin, coriander, fennel, black pepper – will help with the digestion of meals.
• Try not to graze – smaller meals throughout the day have shown to be beneficial to metabolism. It is still important to try and have 2-3 hours in between meals in order to allow your digestive system to rest.
• Go for a walk – preferably out in the sun. You want to heat up your body and your digestive fire!
• Sip hot water – this helps to loosen the lymphatic system when done throughout the day. You can also add these spices to hot water to boost digestion even more:
1/4 tsp. cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp. coriander seeds, 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds.
One Small Step
It is important to remember that boosting digestion is just one part of a healthy balance. Nutrition, exercise, relationships, work and mindset all impact wellness. We need to work on all the aspects of our lives to truly see change and growth.
Have a great day.
Lots of light and love xx